Friday, August 05, 2005

Bloody F********l Advisors!

Current Song in Head: American Pie, Don McLean (The entire 8 and a half minutes of it)

Just when I thought I have heard the last of them, they are back to haunt me. Like a zombie in a lousy B-grade movie, Financial Advisors just refuse to lie down. Today began like any other day. I wake up, I turn on the PC, I wait for calls from companies to arrange interviews with me. I won't need to get out of the house until after my lunch, which was a good thing, cause it means I can save myself some money by eating at home. So I started typing a post on this blog. My concentration was broken when my phone rang and the number displayed on it was one that isn't in my phone book. Probably a company arranging for an interview, I thought and hastily picked up the call.


"Hello," the voice on the other side chirped.

"Hi," I replied with my 'businessy' tone.

"I'm calling from Manulife and we're glad to inform you that we find you suitable for the position of Financial Advisor. You placed your resume on asiaone.com right?"

Jeez... Like hell I'm suitable for the position of Financial Advisor. I don't believe in conning people, I've done my fair share of conning, Nicholas can attest to that. I don't believe in selling people something which I have a problem convincing myself to buy. So what the hell makes them think I'm suitable for the job? Betcha if I put my grandma's resume on asiaone.com and leave out her age, they'll think she is suitable for the job. Hmmm... Come to think of it, my grandma might even do better than me as a Financial Advisor. With her motor-mouth and flying-saliva she shouldn't have a problem convincing her clients they need a life plan, fast.

Having heard the first phrase of this telephone conversation, I pretty much have a gist of where it was going. "I'm not interested in becoming a Financial Advisor," I fired.

Credit must be given to this particular Financial-Advisor-Recruiter; she didn't try to make life difficult for me or for herself and promptly bade her goodbyes and hung up. But life wasn't always this simple. There have been Financial-Advisor-Recruiters who are certainly trying very hard to please the boss. Either that or they don't understand the meaning of 'not interested in being a Financial Advisor'.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Financial Advisors or their career. Its just their way of recruiting people that irks. Especially a certain company called Prudential. Before I began, I'll like to state that I do have an insurance policy with Prudential and as a matter of fact, I find my insurance agent/Financial Advisor from Prudential rather pleasant. However, the company itself should review how it goes about recruiting people. Asking an innocent by-stander on the street to fill up a form about himself and then using the number that this kind person have left on the form for a cold call later is not my idea of a good recruitment strategy.

Firstly, if I were to fill up a form for you, it is because I freaking pity your sorry soul standing in the sun. I do not need you to give me a stalker's call after that. And secondly, if I had any interest in this career path I would look for you. Or rather, I'll look for my cousin, who is in the insurance line, or I'll give a call to my own insurance agent/Financial Advisor who is in the million dollars round table and pretty to boot. I wouldn't want to work under some guy under the name of Phillip (hint, hint), or something like that.

The worst part of all these calls is that they do not just call once. They are pretty insistent. I remembered while I was still studying and the caller got the mistaken impression that I have graduated and offered me the job. I obviously turned him down politely, and, mistakenly on my part, informed him I would be graduating in a year's time. And sure enough, in a year's time, the same bugger called me up. Its like a bad horror movie once again, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer! What the fish!

And in another incident, over a span of a week, I received 3 calls from Financial Advisors. Each time I inform them that I'm not interested and to tell them to remove my name off their database. But apparently, they didn't or there isn't any database to start with. Bloody buggers still continue calling back... So I've decided that when I do one of those roadside surveys in the future, I would not leave my number down.

However, these guys certainly are resourceful; they look up for resumes on career websites! Dammit! And since I'm in such desperate need for a job, I guess it’s not feasible for me to remove my resume from the website. Crap...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home