Sunday, November 06, 2005

Tales from Thailand Part 2: The Crazy Taxi Top Scorers

Have you played the game called Crazy Taxi at the arcades? The one where you're suppose to earn as much from ferry people around in a taxi in a given period of time? And in order to do that as quickly as possible you'll have to drive like a maniac, bumping over curbs and driving against the flow of traffic?

Well, I'm certain that all the cab drivers in Bangkok are top scorers in that game. The get practice all the time. F**king maniacs. When they are not trying to redecorate the bumper of the car in front of them, they are trying to knock the pedastrians down like bowling pins.

On one of my cab trips in Bangkok, the cab driver tried to over-take another car. In order to do so, he had to go into the other direction of the traffic. However, he probably didn't noticed that there were people standing in the middle of the road, trying to cross it. And so what did he do? He accelerated. Yep, accelerated, and actually managed to get in front of the other cars and not knock down any bowling pins. The best part of this whole sequence was that the pedastrians did not even budge. Nuts...

And during the course of this whole sequence, my little princess was talking to me, blissfully unaware of the near death experience (not ours, the pedastrians), while I was praying to all the gods in the world and to all the devils as well (except Geoge Bush, both of them). When she asked me why I was so distracted, I was too traumatised to say anything. Haha... Actually I just didn't want to tell her about it during the cab ride, god knows what the cab driver would do to us.

In another ill-fated cab ride, this time it occured at night. The cab driver was practically half asleep and weaving in and out of traffic like the road belongs to his grandpa. Good thing the road was pretty empty and there were only barriers that we can ram into.

If there is anything that I learnt during my trip to Bangkok, I it is that I am a very safe driver...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmz..
its probably a close fight btwn thai cabbies n KL cabbies? grinz.

tinkerling

2:49 PM  
Blogger Thengz said...

Hmmmm... Have only sat in a KL cab once or twice. But I'll say a thai cabby would still beat a KL cabby... o_O But the best cab driver is still the one from Marseille. The one from the show Taxi, Taxi 2 and Taxi 3. Duh...

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home