Monday, November 21, 2005

Que Pasa?

Current Song in Head: Maria, Ricky Martin

Hola amigos! Yo soy Thengz. Y tu? Como estas? Bien, bien...

Yeah, trying my hand or rather, mouth, at Spanish now. Just finished my 2nd lesson today. Once a week, every Monday night, I'm trying to pick up Espanyol.

The Spanish class that I'm attending is taught totally in Spanish. Meaning, the teacher won't even speak a word of English. This means that she has to be very good at playing Charades. So, on top of picking up Spanish, I have also learnt sign language. Not bad eh? 2 courses for the price of one.

So far, I would say that I'm not doing too well. I seem to find it easier to pronounce German words than Spanish words. Maybe its because of how 'coarse' German is. And being a slightly 'coarse' person, I have some difficulty picking up the proper pronounciation of the smooth-sailing Spanish words.

Interesting fact that I noticed in today's lesson. Did you know that the Spanish language places more emphasis on the vowels, while English and possibly German places more emphasis on the consonants? Won't really notice this unless you try learning a few languages! And judging from the French I hear, my guess is that French places more emphasis on vowels too.

For example, the English word, regular, is pronounced as Rey-Gew-Ler. Whereas in Spanish, its probably something like re-gU-lA... I could be wrong, but you get what I mean.
Alrighty, thats all for now, I'll give you lots another lesson in Spanish next week. Adios Amigos!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home